Tuesday, May 5, 2015

A Different Sense of Nationalism

During dinner yesterday, we reached the hour of 8:00pm, when the entirety of Holland was silent for two minutes. This is done in remembrance for those lost in the second World War, in addition to all others lost in combat.

It struck me that we have nothing like that in America.

Attending public school, a lot of us recited the Pledge of Allegiance every morning, only occasionally understanding the weight of our own words. Usually it was followed by a "moment of silence," which we all ignored for the allotment of time until it was broken by redundant announcements.

I can recall only once in my life when our entire nation was silent: September 11, 2001.
Why don't we have anything like that?

I feel like we aren't as communal or sentimental in the US. I think it would mean a lot to the American people and to the world for us to participate in a national remembrance like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment